Charis Christian Centre is an amazing church with an amazing pastor and amazing leaders. I had the privilege of speaking at Charis this morning at both of their English Worship Services at 8.45am and 11.15am. Charis is situated in a predominantly Chinese area of the city of Kuala Lumpur called Cheras. Occupying 5 shop houses in Taman Billion Cheras, Charis is about 22 years old. They have 7 different services every Sunday and have about 1200 people in attendance at these services. Coming to speak at Charis also brought back many memories for me as I grew up in this area. I attended Primary school at La Salle Peel Road and also stayed at Lorong Shahbandar, Peel Road for a couple of years. Later we moved to Taman Cuepacs Cheras, also stayed there for a couple of years.
The community work that Charis does is really something to shout about. I am so encouraged to learn of the good works that they do through:
RUMAH SAYANGAN - A home for underprivileged, abused, abandoned and orphaned children.
CHARIS - NKF DIALYSIS CENTRE - Providing affordable dialysis to the needy.
Started in 1997 currently 129 patients are receiving regular dialysis 3 times per week at the centre.
KID'S KINGDOM - Teaches children to read, write and speak English. Classes are held on Saturday mornings with 150 children in attendance.
S.A.F.E - reaches out to exploited women. (This morning I heard the story of how they rescued a woman from Sichuan China who came to Malaysia to work as a social escort. The woman has since returned to China baptized. Praise the Lord!)
RUMAH SAYANGAN - A home for underprivileged, abused, abandoned and orphaned children.
CHARIS - NKF DIALYSIS CENTRE - Providing affordable dialysis to the needy.
Started in 1997 currently 129 patients are receiving regular dialysis 3 times per week at the centre.
KID'S KINGDOM - Teaches children to read, write and speak English. Classes are held on Saturday mornings with 150 children in attendance.
S.A.F.E - reaches out to exploited women. (This morning I heard the story of how they rescued a woman from Sichuan China who came to Malaysia to work as a social escort. The woman has since returned to China baptized. Praise the Lord!)
Ps Clarissa Giam their Social Concern Pastor is quite a woman. She would definitely be one of the amazing leaders at Charis. She had a fall recently that fractured her left hand. She says that it has not stopped her in any way but recognizes that she need to slow down a bit. Clarissa's passion in her work is certainly contagious. 2 weeks ago I was in Penang and Mrs Chong from Fettes Park Baptist Church related to me a story of a team of people that came from KL to help them clean up the flats at Rifle Range. They also helped with the repainting of the walls. With much excitement they recounted how they scrubbed the dirt off the walls before painting. As I listened to Mrs Chong I began to see the heart of the team from KL and their spirit of excellence.
Today at Charis I got to meet the team of 11 people that went to Penang for that mission work. Yes they are from Charis Christian Centre. The people at Charis Christian Centre truly live out their mission statement "A heart for God and a hand for man." If you live in the Cheras area and is looking to find a church to serve in I strongly recommend Charis. View more photos
For more information on Charis please check out their website: charis.org.my





